Friday, June 29, 2012

Roomies Foreva!

I read a quote about there years ago that said "How do you know you've found a great friend? When you are ready to talk to them about anything, even though they already know everything about you already". This instantly striked me and reminded me of my college roommate of three years, Deanne. 
This picture above is what I believe is the first picture of us EVER together. Deanne and I went to the same High School and we were both involved in Ag, but we never hung out. We knew each other but for some crazy reason we were never buddy buddy which I will NEVER truly understand.  When I first moved to College Station I lived by myself. It was an experience.... I hated IT! I was so ready to be an "adult" and live on my own but when my 6 month lease was up I was ready to have some company. I did not know too many people that I could have lived with and luckily Holland suggested Deanne. I can remember him clearly saying " You should talk with Deanne. She is looking for a roommate". I thought OH MY GOSH. YES YES YES. I KNOW her but I don't KNOW her KNOW her so this is great! I can get to know her. We met up for lunch one day and we signed a lease for an awesome apartment a few weeks later. Little did we know this apartment would be our home for the next three years and it was going to burst from the seams from the amount of memories and laughter we filled it with. 
I remember it being kinda awkward when we first moved in together. I was unsure if she wanted just a roommate to help with rent cost or a best friend and luckily she wanted a best friend and so did I. We did SO much together. We would get pedicures, carve pumpkins, cook and bake together, watch greys anatomy and Ellen religiously! It became an annual tradition to watch the Victorias Secret Fashion show while stuffing our faces with pizza and then strutting around the apartment like we were on a runway for the following two weeks. All in all, we just had tons of fun. 
Aggie Ring Day 2009
Celebrating my 20th birthday! 
Deanne one time had this great idea to try and take pictures with all of these trains around town. We got 3 pictures done in one day and that was it because we realized they moved the trains and we could never find the time to locate the ones who did not have pictures with yet though. It was a great day with those three cabooses! 

On our last day together in our apartment I remember just saying something along the lines of "well, wow... thats it" and we both just burst into tears. We both realized that our fun was over and even though we thought we were adults in college the real adulthood was about to begin. We just hugged each other as salty tears streamed down our cheeks and then we laughed because we were talking about how living with boys was not going to be as much fun.  It was seriously like that scene from friends when Rachel and Monica have their last night in their apartment. I knew we would still be friends-nothing could take that way, in the end I feel like that is what pulled us both out of our hot mess of tears. 
Deanne and Karls Wedding. October 2009
I have been able to see Deanne transform into a wife. I knew from the moment that she mentioned Karls name that he was the one. She always had this little kid grin and her dimples pretty much never went away once she met him. They both have been through a lot together. They lived in different countries and then He was deployed to Iraq two months after they were married. But their love was strong and their bond is meshed between the both of them which proves that distance can truly make the heart grow fonder. 




Of all the roles I have seen Deanne in, I have to say my favorite is her role as a mother to Savannah. Deanne was born as a mother hen. When we would go to parties she would encourage people to start drinking water and to slow down on their drinking. We did hardly any partying in college. A party to us was cooking dinner and drinking a glass of wine with it while watching tv. This is why we were always called "old ladies". I loved that about her though.  Seeing Deanne as a mother is just beautiful. She is patient, giving, caring and best of all, funny. She talks to Savannah like she is a teenager already which I think is hilarious. I know she wants to also work again but geeze, if she could get paid to be a mom she would be a millionaire. 

Canada Trip Spring Break 2009

Canada Trip Summer 2012
I am so lucky to still call Deanne my friend. I could not have asked for a better roommate in college and I am glad to say that things remained strong between us after we lived together. I can never express how grateful I am for the memories we have in that little apartment. I am so proud of her for so many little things that make a big difference. Like standing up for what you believe in, speaking your mind, giving helpful advice, knowing how to make the best damn egg rolls in the world and being able to show others kindness and compassion with no effort at all.

I find it important to share with others what they mean to you and I know I got all sappy and watery with this post but I truly mean every word I have typed.  Like the quote I mentioned at the beginning, Deanne is a true friend. She knows EVERYTHING about me. She knows my past... what makes me strong and what makes me weak and she still calls me her friend.

I am so happy with the life you are leading, Deanne. You are such a great partner to Karl and caring Momma to Savannah. Anyone to have you in their life can be considered lucky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment