Sunday, June 3, 2012

Bleu's Chocolate Pie

If any of you follow my Facebook as well, you already know about our dog Bleu. Bleu is one SMART dog. However, with his intelligence he has gotten himself into a lot of trouble since we all moved in together last July.  


Ever since Bleu was a puppy he had a hard time learning a lesson. It did not matter if he had to get his stomach pumped from possibly eating a bottle of motrin or ending up with a tummy ache after eating 60 tortillas for chilifest-he would keep on keeping' on and he never does things halfway. 
"I could fit two pies in my mouth at once if y'all would let me try!"







" I swear I am a good dog :)"












When we first moved in together (Me, Holland Bleu and Hannah) things were fine. Until Bleu got into the pantry, then under the sink and THEN DUN DUN DUNNNNNN.... the fridge... He figured out how to open the fridge and it was not to fetch Holland a beer like a good dog would do. It was to eat our THANKSGIVING PIES. 


Hollands birthday was on Thanksgiving this past year and he wanted to have different types of pies instead of a birthday cake. I made him this AWESOME chocolate pie and about half of it got eaten by guests at our house and then Bleu enjoyed the rest of it after opening the fridge.... along with two untouched pumpkin ones. After our experienced with Bleu's "gift" we made trips to Babies R Us and our house was finally what I like to call "Bleu Proofed". I say it all the time right before we go somewhere"Hey Hol, did you Bleu proof the house?" Bleu proofing entails the following:


-locking two toddler locks on fridge. 
-placing ozarka gallon of water jug in front of our pantry door. 
-securing rubber bands around cabinet underneath sink. 
-closing all doors to all other rooms. 
-ensuring all food (especially bread or tortillas) is high up and by high up it needs to be in a cabinet. He gave me a funny look once when I put the loaf of bread on top of the fridge like: "Oh yea, you put that there, I will have at it within 5 minutes of your departure".


Usually when he gets into stuff we either give him a tablespoon of peroxide(Instructions from vet since he had gotten his stomach pumped so often as a pup) to make him throw up or we let him live with his mistakes and stay outside for a few hours and let nature take its course. However, when he got to this chocolate pie I was scared since I always hear and read how dangerous chocolate is for dogs. I remember Holland saying "How many ounces of chocolate was in it? 


me: "six".
Holland: "meh, he has had way more than that before".


So here my friends is the recipe for the easiest and tastiest chocolate pie that everyone loves, even Bleu. Although, he loves everything we cook and throw away! :)








Beat two eggs until foamy 












Add 
-1/2 cup of unsifted flour
-1/2 cup of sugar
-1/2 cup brown sugar


Mix well 




Go all crazy Paul Deen style and melt two sticks of butter then let cool to room temperature and add to mix and blend well. 








Add:
-1 cup of chopped walnuts
-3/4 cup of nestle semi sweet chocolate chips. 














Mix well




I usually buy the pie crusts that are in the frozen section and ready to go in tin can. Let the crust thaw out while you are mixing together ingredients and before you pour mixture into shell poke crust with fork all over. 


Pour mixture in and spread evenly. 


Bake at 325 degrees for one hour. 


Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream. 




I hope everyone had a great weekend! I am taking this lovely pie to a neighbors house for dessert tonight.  


P.S. Bleu is really an awesome dog. Would not trade him for anything :)

2 comments: