Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Tasty Stir Fry


Holland and I like to watch movies and t.v. shows but every so often we watch a documentary and we often sit back in question, disbelief and wonder.  Our recent documentary was "Forks Over Knives".  I was at work talking with a colleague/friend of mine and talking about how I wish my dad did not eat so much red meat. She let me borrow this dvd for him but since he is usually out of town and busy we watched it instead and told him about it. It was different than I thought it would be. I pictured it with people just saying to not eat meat and be vegetarian but it was different. It focused on trying to move people into a plant based diet. Not only can meat be harmful to our bodies if consumed in high amounts, but dairy as well. 

The scientists in this documentary blew us away. They are in their 70's and they LOOK AWESOME. They are running and all fit and they claim that if everyone were to take on the plant based diet that 80 percent of the issues humans suffer with (diabetes, cancer, obesity etc.) would be eliminated.  The documentary also goes in to show a historical perspective about WWII.  The Nazi's claimed tons of land and animals to keep the  meat all for themselves and to give to the soldiers who were fighting. In turn, the small towns were worried because they would have no meat to eat and were forced to turn to plant based foods. The people found that they were actually healthier and all the cases of heart disease and diminished since they had no meat to consume!
After the movie I asked Holland if he wanted to stay away from  meat and dairy and he said no. But he was definitely on board to put more vegetables and whole foods and grains into what we eat. We already eat pretty healthy. For years we have used turkey meat instead of hamburger meat and whole wheat breads and pastas instead of white. We often do not know what to do with vegetables and how to get more vegetables into our diet so we have both been reading and researching some promising recipes. 

I have been making this since I was in grad school because it is easy quick and you get a ton of good veggies. 

First cut up all your vegetables(This takes the longest time) and stir and mix with some olive oil and pepper. 
Here I used onion, broccoli, snow peas, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms and celery.
Cook Lo Mein noodles for about for about four to six minutes minutes, put in some peanut sauce and low sodium soy sauce. 
Finished product!
Lo mein noodles and Peanut sauce. 



I know we live in Texas and believe me I love my barbacoa and brisket SO MUCH. However, everyone could always use a little more veggies. I will share more recipes if I find some good ones!



1 comment: