Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Crock Pot Gumbo

I have said it before and I will say it again, I love my crockpot! I especially like it while teaching during the year because I don't have to stand over the stove and cook! It is nice in the summertime because you have more time to prepare and cut ingredients and not rush. A few weeks ago, I made crockpot gumbo! I found the recipe online here:Crock Pot Gumbo

I had never made gumbo before and the reason I wanted to try it was because we had so much okra from our garden. We had other ideas for it such as breading them and frying them up then Holland suggested okra. I was quick to get on the computer and find a recipe that I would not have to hover over and babysit for hours and Voila! Here is the finished product.
Okra on steroids, not really but they look like it!
The recipe says it takes 20 minutes prep but I feel like it takes almost 40-45 minutes. you have to cook chicken and the sausage and cut all the veggies up. Maybe I just cook like an old lady or I just take my time. I would never make it on one of those cooking shows where you only have 30 minutes to cook and plate a dish. **Also, I did not put in shrimp like the recipe calls for, Holland is allergic to shellfish at times. He totally would have eaten it though but I do not want to have to use the EpiPen on him just yet!**


After hours of cooking it smelled awesome! I made some white rice to serve it over and some french garlic bread. Everyone loved it and it makes great leftover too.




No comments:

Post a Comment