Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Hollands First Posting to the BLOG!

A year ago today WE MOVED IN TOGETHER!!!!! I really cannot believe it has been a year since we packed up all our boxes and grabbed our crazy pups and put everything under the same roof.


Although we had troubles with the house we are renting this past year(Like BIG troubles: Gas leaks, trees falling, doors not locking, termites etc.), it really is a special place.   Even though this is not our forever home, I feel stress drip off my shoulders when I walk through the door and see Hannah and Bleu wagging their tails and grinning with their pearly whites at me.  However, it never feels totally like home until Holland walks through the door and we plop on the couch or hover in the kitchen while cooking dinner and chatting back and forth about our day.

 I wanted for both of us to answer some open questions about our first year of living together.

Amanda

* What is your favorite thing about living with Holland?
I love the simple things like cooking together, working together towards a common goal.  I feel like we really became a team this year, doing many things on our own. We work together to take care of the pups and get things done around the house and its nice just always being together.
*Funniest moment over the past year?
In December we were getting ready for our Holiday party and I forced Holland to help me rake the leaves in the front yard. He was so against it and just wanted to go inside the house and relax but it needed to be done before we had visitors! Therefore....in the complete darkness, I raked leaves and he held the bag open.  I was using the rake to gather the leaves with the dust pan and totally whacked Holland right in the face with the end of the rake.  It was so dark so I couldn't see his reaction and thank goodness he couldn't see mine because I was laughing. It happened another time like five minutes later. Then we stopped raking leaves :)
* Pet Peeves? 
SOCKS!! SOCKS EVERYWHERE!!! Seriously, they just peel off his feet when he gets home while he sits on the couch. I find myself always picking them up and putting them in the hamper. I try to leave them there and it just drives me bonkers!! BONKERS I TELL YOU. He is like Mogli from Jungle Book who never has shoes or socks on. Also, they are sometimes crunchy because his feet get so soaked from beer at work. So yes it makes doing laundry fun because i have to unfold them since they come off and stay in a ball like shape until wash time.
*Favorite house project?
Definitely the garden. I was hesitant because we had to put some money into it but I absolutely love watching it grow and change everyday.  It also is awesome to just go outside and get herbs and veggies for meals.
* Favorite tv show to watch together?
There are definitely a good amount of shows we watch together and there are shows that we watch separately. I had nightmares after watching Breaking Bad so Holland is on his own with that one and he has tried but failed to sit through another episode of Teen Mom with me. Right now with our shows it is probably a tie between Vampire Diaries and Next Food Network Star.  I LOVE that Holland is obsessed with a show about vampires. We make all the noises of OOOO and OH NOOOOOO at the same time when we watch it. Then we discuss what is going to happen next and oh my gosh why did they do that!? We are on the beginning of season 2 so no spoilers please!
*Least favorite "chore" to do?
We have no garbage disposal so we have a strainer that catches all the loveliness that is still in our plates and bowls and UGH, I hate cleaning that out. I always make Holland do it for me.

Holland

* What is your favorite thing about living with Amanda?
I really did not know this till last weekend when amanda left me and went to Chicago. I came home last friday opened the door and it was a dark and empty house. The dogs did not even get up off the couch to say hi to me. They just lifted their head acknowledged that I was home and went back to day dreaming. I do love coming home and amanda is there to talk about my day and share the stories from her day. It just seems like a full and happy house when she is there.   
*Funniest moment over the past year?
If you did not know Amanda is a teacher who works so hard and is always up and getting ready for work by 6 AM. Lucky for her, she gets a break from the lovely, very obedient five year olds twice a year. It was the first week in her summer vacation and she would call me around lunch and let me know that she was just waking up. She could tell I was a little bit jealous because I was at the time slinging 165lbs kegs in the 100 degree weather at 10am. One day I forgot my wallet and had to stop back by the house before I went out on delivery. I walk into the room and she is hiding under the sheets and peeking her head out looking at me like she was ashamed. I just stared to laugh and all I could hear her say is "I was going to get up.."
* Pet Peeves? 
Organization. I do try but I feel like it is hopeless. I knew moving into the house that Amanda is very organized  and has a place for everything. She is great and lets me try to find a place for my stuff. With that said,  I will put one of my nic nacs where I feel appropriate and will go back to get it and it is no were to be found. After searching for a while I will ask her where it could possible be, she will then provide to tell me where she put it. When I mumble and walk away with a perturbed look on my face she politely tells me that she gave me weeks to find a place for it and she was just trying to help put it somewhere I could find it. WELL, It was somewhere I could find it because I put it there. 
*Favorite house project?
 Moving into our house a year ago I had grand ideas of projects that I could do in the two huge garages we have in the backyard. With a little more the hectic work schedule almost nothing has been accomplished, except for our garden. Which consists of two 4' by 8' raised beds. Tomatoes, cucumbers,  peppers, cantaloupes, okra, and many herbs were planted last spring and we have been enjoying eating all the wonderful veggies. Now we just need to get out there an get it ready for the fall.  
* Favorite tv show to watch together?
We have been watching a lot of TV shows together, but watching a comedic show is a great way for both of us to relax after a hard day. Modern family, Wilfred are up in the rankings but New Girl is my favorite to watch with Amanda. We each get to pick out the characters we like the best and who we are most like. I would say I am most like nick and amanda and smitty's personalities are very similar, especially the CDO. " you will have to ask amanda what that means." ** CDO is like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order as they should be :)-Amanda
*Least favorite "chore" to do?
Well, it is the one chore that absolutely does not need to be done everyday, and i get yelled at if i don't do it. Thats right "Making the Bed". I get wanting to make it all nice and neat when the sheets come fresh out of the dryer but the rest of the time i just don't understand. I get up in the morning leave the house and don't go back into the room until i go back to sleep. Who sees it? ** I do....... -Amanda


I know it is silly but I went to Central Market and got a bottle of wine and some other goodies to celebrate. I also made some easy ratatouille! See link below. Praise the sun for Pinterest. Seriously.... I cannot remember my life before it.

Easy Ratatouille


 Everyone says the first year of living together can be HELL.  I think it was a Hell of a good time :)

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Holland's pet peeve is identical to Rick's. I am very organized, as well, and do not like clutter. If Rick leaves something out of place for more than 5 minutes, I'm likely to swoop in and restore it to its proper location. I feel ya, Amanda (and I understand your frustration, Holland)! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I am not the only neat freak!!!! He really kinda has given up. Especially since I am home more in the summer. I am like a police control with keeping the house perfect around the clock. I will get more lenient when I go back to work in a few weeks :).

      Delete
  2. LOVE this post! By far one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Holland was hilarious. I was laughing so hard when I read his answers!

      Delete
  3. Love this post!!! Cade leaves his clothes right next to the bed. Every few days I go over there and CONSISTENTLY there is a huge pile of dirties... like 2 feet from the hamper. Oh Love!

    Breaking Bad scared me too.... :)

    ReplyDelete