Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day Jitters


Starting my second "first day of school" I was nervous. I get that feeling like when I was in school where I felt sleepless the night before. I kept questioning myself and went through the checklist in my head to assure myself I had everything ready.  I laid out my work clothes, packed my lunch and woke up without too much help when the alarm went off at 5:45 a.m.  I walked through the familiar concrete walkway up to my school while the moon still shined down on the pavement. It seems like it was a hassle or a pain to do, but my heart was no longer pumping with anxiety and nerves, it was pumping with excitement. 

I consoled parents when they dropped their babies off. The first tears I saw were actually from a mom instead of a student.  I could tell she just stared at her child and thought where had the past five years gone? I assured her she was in good hands and that we were going to have a really great day, and that we did!

Morning Assembly, photo taken from NEISD homepage: http://www.neisd.net/ComRel/News/NEISD_NewYear_082712.htm
We kicked off our day with a school wide morning assembly and we had a guest who led us in a musical presentation.  All the students were given plastic instruments called something along the lines of "ban Wackers" and the gym was filled with rhythm, dancing and smiles. Our little Kinders were a little unsure of what to do when it came to their part. However,  we made it through and in the end I am so glad we showed them the community they are now a part of. 

Throughout the day we practiced how to sit on carpet, line up, walk in line, ask questions and color and cut! I have completely forgotten the amount of routines my kinders learned and perfected last year.  I know that at this point that things are a little crazy, but I know that each day things will get better and better with practice. The best thing was that all the kids said they were excited to come back to school tomorrow. 

Well it is now 7:30 and I am already showered and in my pajamas ready for bed. It was a really great day! Although I am exhausted, I am anxious to keep coming back to school.  We got some sweet kiddos and I am ready to teach my heart out. 

I hope all of my teacher friends has a great first day back!! Looking forward to this year, its going to be a good one! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment