Sunday, January 27, 2013

Texas Winter Garden

Lately, we have been enjoying our garden and all the awesome things it has been producing for us this winter.  My favorite thing so far is definitely the broccoli. They are HUGE.  We planted six of them in October and now, there months later we are looking up delicious recipes to make. 

The garden right after planting into October. 

Our garden in January! I am very sad our basil is done :(

Swiss chard and cabbage. 

I just love the bright red color. So pretty! Makes me not want to eat it!


Our first bouquet of broccoli we steamed and ate with stuffed sweet potatoes that Holland made.  We have given half of the broccoli away to friends and our favorite neighbor because there was just so much!



We planted romaine and spinach and the spinach never came up but the romaine is beautiful!
Late October romaine-started from seeds. 

January romaine!
Holland is really good at whipping up a fantastic meal when I feel like we have nothing and need to go to the grocery store. He made an avocado, tomato and cucumber salad mix that we wrapped up in our romaine.  Very delicious and fresh!

I just recently had to start buying basil since ours died over the two weeks of cold winter weather we had.  We knew it was coming, but I miss it so much! I hadn't bought basil in over a year! I am ready to start our spring/summer garden. We plan on putting a new basil plant, cucumbers and some summer squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment